Looking for More?

Thanks for visiting These Good Ideas. If you're looking for more frequent posts from me please visit my new blog! Husband and I recently bought a house and it is a fixer. We have lots to do and lots to blog about and lots of great ideas we'd love to share with you! You'll find all kinds of interesting ideas and tips over there and the posts are much more frequent. Thanks for reading!

www.twoseekhome.blogspot.com

5/6/11

Good Idea #31: Clean and Freshen

Last time I vacuumed I made a few little mistakes.  First, I vacuumed over an area in the kitchen that was wet.  Then, I vacuumed up some dirty kitty litter that had spread out of the litter box.  Then I left the wet sticky mess sit in the vacuum canister for over a week.  Today I broke out the vacuum again, and as I really should have expected, the air filtering out of the vacuum reeked of week-old litter box.  Gross.  But, I've actually been meaning to clean our vacuum, so this was the perfect motivation. 


We leave our vacuum out most of the time, partially as a reminder to use it and partially because of limited storage.  So when the vacuum becomes covered in dust, it doesn't look so great in the middle of our living room.  I did the obvious, wiped down the whole outside of the vacuum and all the attachments, then I tackled the filter canister.  First of all there was cat litter and dust caked in the bottom... let that situation sink in... so I gave that all a good wash.  For the filter, I used another hand-held vacuum to suck out as much dust as I could from between the folds and then wiped it all down with a damp paper towel.  This is when I had a completely spontaneous but brilliant idea.  I pulled out my trusty bottle of Febreeze fabric freshener and doused the whole filter in the stuff.  I'll have to let the whole thing dry out before I give it a try, of course, but I'm anticipating that the next time I vacuum the whole apartment will have a very lovely smell of Febreeze rather than of stinky cat litter.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...