Looking for More?

Thanks for visiting These Good Ideas. If you're looking for more frequent posts from me please visit my new blog! Husband and I recently bought a house and it is a fixer. We have lots to do and lots to blog about and lots of great ideas we'd love to share with you! You'll find all kinds of interesting ideas and tips over there and the posts are much more frequent. Thanks for reading!

www.twoseekhome.blogspot.com

11/30/10

Good Idea #7: Use What You Have

Just a little decorating idea.  A few weeks back, with fall in full swing and Thanksgiving approaching I wanted to spruce my place up appropriately.  Unfortunately my income is currently allocated to other uses (namely Christmas travel and gifting) so I couldn't go out and buy a bunch of stuff.  So I looked at what was available to me.  I put a few gourds we had purchased along with all the fruit and vegetables I happened to have around in a basket and created a very decorative fall "bounty."  I went out and picked some dried grasses that were growing outside my apartment and put them in vases that I already had.  I added twigs and more grasses to fill out my bounty.  I put dried berries that had fallen off a bunch that I bought at the farmers market in a glass bowl.  I barely spent any money, and I'm pretty happy with the results.




I think the main good idea here, besides taking the trek outside and getting stuff for free, is this:  Items have a greater impact when they are grouped together.  A few stray gourds, some grass and some berries might not seem like a whole lot of holiday decoration, but when you put them all in basket, or put a vase and a bowl of berries together with another natural element (like a bowl of collected wine corks) they are more noticeable and therefore make a bigger statement.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...