Looking for More?

Thanks for visiting These Good Ideas. If you're looking for more frequent posts from me please visit my new blog! Husband and I recently bought a house and it is a fixer. We have lots to do and lots to blog about and lots of great ideas we'd love to share with you! You'll find all kinds of interesting ideas and tips over there and the posts are much more frequent. Thanks for reading!

www.twoseekhome.blogspot.com

1/10/11

Holiday Recap

I may be a bit late on this, but I just couldn't wait until next Christmas to share all these holiday memories and ideas.  So here is what my Christmas and New Year season looked like, along with a few good ideas to stash away in your stocking until next year:

Leavenworth, WA 

Our Christmas season began with an early-December trip to Leavenworth for the annual Lighting Festival.  The residents of this little Bavarian village nestled in the mountains of central Washington deck the whole town in lights, line the streets with fire pits and open the doors of shops full of candy, clothing, home good and novelties to Christmas shoppers. 


If you're in the Northwest during the holidays, Leavenworth is a fun and festive way to get in the spirit. 
To learn more about Leavenworth, visit www.leavenworth.org

Holidays Around Here

This year we went for simplicity in our holiday decorating, focusing on natural elements and neutral colors.  I went a little green, re-purposing paper bags from holiday shopping as wrapping and chose the rest of my wrapping paper selection to match.  My favorite new addition to my wrap collection this year was heavy weight black and brown paper from Ikea.

These holiday penguins were hand-made by my very talented mother.  She sent them to us along with the hand-made Christmas trees that you can see above the gifts in the first picture the first winter we lived in Oregon.  They have made an appearance ever year and will continue to for many many more.

This leather Zuny reindeer is one of my most prized Christmas decorations.  It is actually a memo clip (the head is attached to the body by a magnet) and the movable head makes it all the more adorable.  Zuny has an amazing line of leather animal home accessories that are beautiful, sometimes useful and will brighten up any home.  Go to http://www.zuny.info/

Keep reading to see more of my natural Christmas scheme and more holiday adventures!

I bought these decorative pine cones and accessories from a craft store last Christmas without much intention.  I love the home I found for them this year in this florists vase I had just lying around.  These just might have to stay out through the rest of winter.

We spent the actual Christmas holiday on the East Coast with family this year, so we didn't bother with a tree, but we couldn't let our Christmas decor be without lights and ornaments.  The white lights reflected really beautifully in the shiny plastic (read: cat-friendly) ornaments that we bought at Ikea our first Christmas in Oregon.  The snowflake window clings add an extra bit of winter fun.  These are actually extra holiday decorations from Starbucks, but if you don't happen have access to retail overstock a simple search will find an abundance of options online.  Decals tend to come in sheets, which may be ideal for filling small window panes, but I'm a fan of cutting the shapes out and placing them in a more scattered formation.

Here's a tip for hanging window clings:  Spray window cleaner on the window first (start by cleaning the whole window if this hasn't been done recently so that you don't have one little noticeably clean spot around your cling) and apply the cling to the wet surface.  This will allow you to move the cling around as necessary and smooth out any air bubbles before the connection sets.  Smooth out the cling with a squeegee if you have one (especially for larger clings), and wipe away the extra cleaner with a paper towel.  You will have perfectly placed and bubble-free clings every time.

Holidays Over There

Here are some of my favorite shots of our East Coast Christmas celebrations:

 Holiday decorations at my parents' house in Rhode Island.

 Sushi making with my best friend in Massachusetts and a sushi gift basket so that I can make my own!

This holiday display in Rhode Island caused quite the disturbance.  Very creative.

Cookie making with mom.  These "birds nests," almond cookies with jelly filling, are one of my favorites.  Above are nut logs, or "dog bones" dipped in chocolate and coated with chopped walnuts.

 A snowy view from the windows of my husband's family's home.  Bird feeders outside the dining room windows provide food for birds and entertainment for the people inside.

I love that this wood stove is the only heat source used in the house.  Good insulation and an open floor plan keep the whole house toasty warm.

 Blizzard conditions and a kitty cozy in the attached greenhouse.

There might be nothing prettier than little New England towns in the snow.


New Year's Eve

My husband and I have made a tradition of chocolate fondue and champagne on special occasions.  Our champagne flutes were a wedding gift, but I happen to know that they came from Anthropology.  I love the candle-warmed fondue pot, a gift from my sister.  What a cozy way to end the Holiday season.


Happy New Year!

1 comment:

  1. What a nice holiday season you had! Thanks for all you did to make it great!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...